1.03.2006

鲍元恺,祝你生日快乐

I purchased my first contemporary classical Chinese cd by accident.

Near the beginning of my year in China, I found a CD of the Long Yu and the Chinese Philharmonic Orchestra playing Schoenberg and Wagner. They did a fine job with the decidedly European selections. I didn't think much more about it for a long time.

When I got home, I listened to the disc on my computer. Something very bizarre happened. Instead of automatically playing, it opened a folder. What was in this folder? Mp3's of another China Philharmonic Orchestra CD, this time playing the music of Bao Yuankai, Wang Ming, and other Chinese composers of the past 50 years.

Today (at least by Beijing time), Bao turns 61. I'm very happy to (accidentally) know who he is and have some of his music.

No comments: