12.14.2005

Concerning Classification Tags

I've made the classification tags as broad as possible to avoid making them part of any taxonomic statement. While my catalogue runs from Antiquity to Post-War, I don't think that level of detail is useful in this context. Thus, I'm using a division of music history into three parts.

The Box is defined by commercial radio and other for-profit classical organizations. It runs roughly from 1700-1900, and covers the top 40 popular classics of the high baroque, classical, and romantic periods. Everything before that is Early Music; everything after is New Music. I just hope I never write anything about "Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini," which is firmly in the box despite its date of 1934.

I detest the term "World Music," so I use it grudgingly, for the sake of concision, to refer to classical and folk music traditions outside the European/American Western Classical Music tradition.

No comments: