2.14.2006

Off-topic

As one of four American curling fans (though we do outnumber the three remaining hockey fans), I was mildly disappointed to see the US Men's team squander a chance to beat Finland yesterday, but I didn't care too much. After all, the men's team is just going to be outmatched this Olympics, so I wasn't surprised.

But what is going on with the women's team? I've be telling everybody I know about Thursday's match against Sweden since before the Olympics started. After all, it will be a rematch of the '05 World Championship, when Anette Norberg's team scored 6 in the final two ends to hand the Johnson sisters their only loss of the tournament to capture the title.

It'll probably be academic, however, as the women have lost their first three matches (including today's defeat by Japan, on a missed shot in the eleventh end). It's possible that they could get their act together and win out, but at this point it'll be pretty difficult.

(Though don't get me wrong -- I'm going to record Thursday's match and then watch it. While I appreciate that CNBC is devoting 3 hours a night to the sport, the inanity of the coverage is probably doing a better job turning people off from curling than creating new fans. Fast-forwarding through all the BS, the event will probably only take 40 minutes.)

UPDATE:

I'm thrilled that the men managed to pull through the bronze in the end. Good for them. (They showed me!)

The women's Gold Medal draw between Sweden and Switzerland was a classic match for the ages. I hope you got a chance to see it.

No comments: