1.26.2007

Buxtewho-de?

Buxtehude is a composer that doesn't have much currency today. Most people know him (if at all) primarily for being an important influence of a young Bach. After last year's Mozart overdose, it's nice to have a year honoring a composer who really does need the exposure. In honor of the 300th anniversary of his death, I'm looking forward to getting to know Buxtehude much more thoroughly.

To this effect, I went to the first recital in the series "Ten Saturdays with Buxtehude" at St. Thomas's Church on West 53rd St. The turnout was spectacular for the 4:00 recital. The entire nave was full, and the crowd spilled into the aisle. More to the point, the church ran out of programs. Accordingly, I'm not sure what I heard (beyond a couple of chorale preludes and couple of prelude & fugue pairs) or who was playing (although I later found out it was John Scott). I don't really feel qualified to discuss the program in any detail with so little information. I'll credit Scott for resisting the temptation to use the full forces of the organ, instead trying to stay true to the sound of organs of the 17th century. The programs run through May 26, and should all be well worth it. Just make sure you arrive plenty early if you want a good seat and a program.

No comments: